To set up a common, shared calendar or contacts list that people in your organization can access and edit, you simply need to create a shared mailbox. After you create the shared mailbox, users that are members of the shared mailbox will be able to access the shared calendar and contacts.
NOTE: Because, creating a mailbox to be used for shared calendar or contacts list involves creating a shared mailbox, the people that can access the shared calendar or contacts list can also access and respond to email sent to the shared mailbox.
Before you begin, sign in to the Office 365 portal, and then click Admin in the top navigation.
- Go to Admin > Users & Groups.
- On the Users & Groups page, click Shared Mailboxes, and then click Add .
- On the Add a shared mailbox page, enter the following information:
Mailbox name This name appears in the address book, on the To field in email, and in the list of shared mailboxes on the Shared Mailboxes page. It's required and should be user-friendly so people recognize what it is.
Email address Enter the email address for the shared mailbox. It's required.
- Click Next.
- On the Add members page, click Add .
- In the search field, type a person’s name and then click Search. The person is added to the list of members.
- When you’re done adding members, click Finish.
NOTE: If new users are created in your organization, who need access to this shared calendar or contact list, you'll need to add them to the membership list of shared mailbox.
How do I access a shared mailbox?
Depending on the email client you choose, the detailed instructions for accessing the shared calendar or contact list are listed below:
Open a shared calendar in Outlook
If you have permissions to a shared mailbox, the shared calendar associated with the shared mailbox is automatically added to your My Calendars list.
- In Outlook, select Calendar.
- In the folder pane, under My Calendars, select the shared calendar.
Open a shared contacts list in Outlook
If you have permissions to a shared mailbox, the contacts folder from the shared mailbox is automatically added to your My Contact list.
- In Outlook, select People.
- Under My Contacts, select the contacts folder for the shared contacts list.
Outlook Web App
Note: You cannot access shared contacts list for a shared mailbox from Outlook Web App
Open a shared calendar using Outlook Web App
- Sign in to your Office 365 account using a Web browser. Click Calendar.
- Right-click OTHER CALENDARS, and then click Open calendar.
- In From Directory, search for the shared calendar you want to open. Select the shared mailbox you want to open and click Open.
- The shared calendar displays in your Calendar folder list.