Last updated: May 2017
This article describes SharePoint Online limits such as number of users, storage space, and file size. Different plans also include different features. For information about that, see SharePoint Online Service Description.
- SharePoint trial plans and Online Preview sites aren't covered here.
- For SharePoint 2016 limits, see SharePoint 2016 software boundaries and limits. For SharePoint 2013 limits, see SharePoint 2013 software boundaries and limits.
- For information about Exchange mailbox limits, see Mailbox types and storage limits for recipients.
The following limits apply to all plans.
- Items and files - A list can have up to 30 million items and a library can have up to 30 million files and folders. Views can have up to 12 lookup columns. To learn more about other restrictions for viewing large lists, see Manage large lists and libraries in Office 365. A file's entire path, including its name, must be fewer than 400 characters. For information about characters that can't be used in file names, see Invalid characters in file and folder names. For information about blocked file name extensions, see Types of files that cannot be added to a list or library
- Subsites - Up to 2,000 per site collection
- File size - Less than 15 GB per file. Files attached to list items can be up to 250 MB in size.
- Sync - For optimum performance, we recommend storing no more than 100,000 files in a single OneDrive or team site library. If you use the previous OneDrive for Business sync client (Groove.exe), the sync limit per library is 5,000 items.
- Versions - 5,000 major versions and 511 minor versions
- SharePoint groups - A user can belong to 5,000 groups, and each group can have up to 5,000 users. You can have up to 10,000 groups per site collection.
- Users - 2 million per site collection.
Note: There is no limit to the number of external users you can invite to your SharePoint Online site collections. For more information, see Manage external sharing for your SharePoint Online environment.
Limits by plan
The following tables include SharePoint Online limits for current and previous plans.
Limits for SharePoint Online in legacy Office 365 business plans
These plans are no longer available for purchase. See Switch to a different Office 365 plan or subscription for instructions on how to update your plan to one of the new plans.
|For information about this:
|Office 365 connectivity limits
||To learn more about Internet bandwidth, port and protocol considerations for Office 365 plans, see Office 365 Ports and Protocols.|
|SharePoint feature availability
||To learn more about SharePoint feature availability and the SharePoint Online service in Office 365, see SharePoint Online Service Description.|
|SharePoint Online search limits
||To learn more about the search limits for SharePoint Online, see Search limits for SharePoint Online.|
|OneDrive for Business restrictions and limits
|To learn more about restrictions and limits when using the new OneDrive sync client (OneDrive.exe), see Restrictions and limitations when you sync files and folders.
To learn more about restrictions and limits when using the previous OneDrive for Business sync client (Groove.exe), see Restrictions and limitations when you sync SharePoint libraries to your computer through OneDrive for Business.
To determine which sync client you're using, see Which OneDrive sync client am I using?
|To learn about file types that you can't add to a list, see Types of files that cannot be added to a list or library.|
|To learn about SharePoint Online addresses, see SharePoint Online URLs and IP Addresses.|
|To learn how to set language for your sites, see Change your language and region settings.|
Planning and deploying SharePoint Online
|SharePoint Online Planning Guide for Office 365 for business.|
Adding or reducing storage
|Change storage space for your subscription.|
If you want to know more, or if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us:
Contact us now at 514-316-8896 #2 or send us a message